Palácio Nacional de Mafra (Convento de Mafra) – Novo Património Mundial
The Mafra National Palace (Palace, Basilica, Convent, Siege Garden and Tapada) is celebrating to be inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List with the motto “The Royal Mafra Building has is doors opened”.
The whole monumental ensemble was distinguished by UNESCO with the entry to the World Heritage list, at the same time as another Portuguese masterpiece, Bom Jesus de Braga.
The construction work of the National Palace of Mafra began in 1717 at the initiative of King D. João V by virtue of a promise he would have made in the name of the offspring he would obtain with Queen D. Maria Ana of Austria. The construction was made possible using gold from the rich mines of Brazil, eventually being considered one of the largest Baroque Palaces of the eighteenth century.
The Mafra National Palace occupies approximately four hectares, built of lioz stone and has 1200 rooms, 4700 doors and windows, 156 staircases and 29 courtyards, having a baroque joanino style, in the German side. Including royal hunting grounds, one of the largest libraries in Europe containing a collection of over 35,000 volumes and the Royal Hospital with a pharmacy containing medical instruments of the time.
The Mafra National Palace was classified as a National Monument in 1910 and has now achieved World Heritage status on July 7, 2019.