Lisbon is Portugal’s capital and the hub of a multifaceted area that appeals to different tastes and senses.
Lisbon is known as the white city, thanks to its unique light. The clear light and the kind climate allow for marvellous walks all over the city. The city has a beauty that extends beyond its famed monuments that can be experienced in the streets, embraced by all the senses.
Lisbon is the only European capital with sandy beaches 20 minutes away from the cobbled stone city center and a luxuriously green holy mountain around the corner. You will go to Portugal – go to Lisbon!
Lisbon is a city that makes you want to go exploring, to discover whatever might appear in every neighborhood, on every street. It’s a safe and friendly city, relatively small but with so much to see. It’s an ideal place to spend a few days or as a starting point for touring the country. It’s old. It’s modern. It is, without doubt, always surprising.
You must go to Lisbon because:
- It’s one of the world’s great historical cities, with characteristic and surprising sights, cultural treasures, and a beautiful setting that make it a paradise for walkers and photographers.
- It’s one of Europe’s best values – officially Western Europe’s least expensive capital.
- It’s the closest European capital to the United States and just around a 2-hour flight from all the other major European cities.
- Its mild climate makes it an ideal year-round destination. Even in winter, when most other European cities are freezing, in Lisbon high temperatures rarely go below 10º C (50º F).
- It is the only European capital located so close to sandy beaches, enabling visitors to combine culture with fun by the sea.
- It’s a compact and intimate city, ideal for a short city break or a longer romantic stay, with a lively café culture and a nightlife that is one of the most vibrant in Europe.
- Its surroundings offer an incredible variety of tourist attractions, from fairytale palaces in one of Europe’s most romantic towns (Sintra), to world-class golf and fun in Europe’s largest casino in Estoril, to surfing in Cascais or escaping to a natural park in Arrábida, to dolphin-watching in Setúbal.
- It makes a perfect base to explore many of Portugal’s most outstanding towns and villages, from Évora to Óbidos.
- It’s one of the safest European capitals. Tourists are always automatic targets in all big cities and visitors should beware of pickpocketing in Lisbon, but serious random violent crime is practically unheard of in this city.
- It’s a friendly city with a cosmopolitan population, welcoming to all visitors and families with children, and open to minorities and alternative lifestyles.
Lisbon is just a short flight away. You may go to Lisbon about 1/3 hours from most European cities and 5/8 hours from North America.
The Lisboa airport is centrally located only 15 min transfer from city centre and another 30-45 min from Estoril or Sintra. You will BOOK TRANSFER from the airport to hotel/accommodation HERE.
The Airport is served by all major airlines and with daily non-stop connections to all major European cities as well as the US, South America and Africa (more than 50 destinations).
Saint George’s Castle can be seen from almost everywhere in the city and looks over Lisbon from its highest hill offering memorable views. On summer it hosts the beer party and several other events and art exhibitions.