List of World Heritage places in Portugal
The UNESCO World Heritage places are spots of significance to social or characteristic legacy as portrayed in the UNESCO World Heritage Convention, built up in 1972.Portugal embraced the tradition on 30 September 1980, making its chronicled locales qualified for consideration on the rundown.
First places in Portugal were recorded on the rundown at the seventh Session of the World Heritage Committee, held in Florence, Italy, in 1983. Four destinations were included: the “Central Zone of the Town of Angra do Heroísmo in the Azores”, the “Monastery of Batalha”, the “Convent of Christ in Tomar”, and the joint record of the “Monastery of Jerónimos and the Tower of Belém in Lisbon”. As of 2013, Portugal has 15 locales recorded on the rundown, 14 of which are social and one is normal, as indicated by the determination criteria. Three places are situated in the Azores and Madeira archipelagos, while one is imparted to Spain. The latest record is the University of Coimbra – Alta and Sofia site in Coimbra, during the 37th Session in Phnom Penh.
Douro is a Portuguese wine region centered on the Douro River in the Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro region. It is sometimes referred to as the Alto Douro (upper Douro), as it is located some distance upstream from Porto, sheltered by mountain ranges from coastal influence. The region has Portugal’s highest wine classification as a Denominação de Origem Controlada (DOC). While the region is associated primarily with Port wine production, the Douro produces just as much table wine (non-fortified wines) as it does fortified wine. The non-fortified wines are typically referred to as “Douro wines”.
Angra do Heroísmo (Portuguese pronunciation: [ˈɐ̃ɡɾɐ du eɾuˈiʒmu]), generally known as Angra, is a municipality and city on the island of Terceira in the Portuguese autonomous region of the Azores. The population in 2011 was 35,402, in an area of 239.00 km². It forms the southern half of Terceira, with the north belonging to Praia da Vitória. Together with Ponta Delgada on São Miguel and Horta on Faial, Angra is one of the three regional capitals of the Azores. Each capital is responsible for one of the three branches of government; Angra is the location of the Azorean Supreme Court. It is also the location of the Azorean bishop.
The Convent of Christ (Portuguese: Convento de Cristo/Mosteiro de Cristo) is a former Roman Catholic convent in Tomar, Portugal. Originally a 12th-century Templar stronghold, when the order was dissolved in the 14th century the Portuguese branch was turned into the Knights of the Order of Christ, that later supported Portugal’s maritime discoveries of the 15th century.
Sintra is known for its many 19th-century Romantic architectural monuments, which has resulted in its classification as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Although its heritage in buildings and nature is the most visible face of the historic individuality of Sintra, a whole literary heritage has made the area a legendary reference in Portuguese culture.
The Garrison Border Town of Elvas and its Fortifications is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, inscribed in the World Heritage list in 2012. Elvas is a Portuguese city in Alentejo, near the Portuguese-Spanish border.
Évora is the capital of Portugal’s south-central Alentejo region. In the city’s historic center stands the ancient Roman Temple of Évora (also called the Temple of Diana).
The historical city of Guimarães is associated with the emergence of Portuguese national identity in the 12th century. It is an exceptionally well-preserved example of the evolution from a medieval town to a modern city, with its rich building typology showing the development of Portuguese architecture between the 15th and 19th centuries with the continued use of traditional building materials and techniques.
Porto is a coastal city in Northwest Portugal known for its stately bridges and port wine production. In the medieval Ribeira (riverside) district, narrow cobbled streets wind past merchants’ houses and cafés.
The Landscape of the Pico Island Vineyard Culture is a UNESCO World Heritage Site on Pico Island. The vineyard is divided into plots protected by walls.
The Laurisilva of Madeira is an outstanding relict of a previously widespread laurel forest type. It is the largest surviving area of laurel forest and is believed to be 90% primary forest. It contains a unique suite of plants and animals, including many endemic species such as the Madeiran long-toed pigeon.
The Alcobaça Monastery is a Roman Catholic church situated in the town of Alcobaça, in Oeste Subregion. The religious community was established in the medieval period by the principal Portuguese King, Afonso Henriques, in 1153, and kept up a nearby relationship with the Kings of Portugal all through its history.
The Monastery of Batalha (Portuguese: Mosteiro da Batalha), literally the Monastery of the Battle, is a Dominican convent in the municipality of Batalha, in the district of Leiria, in the Centro Region of Portugal. Originally, and officially known, as the Monastery of Saint Mary of the Victory.
The Jerónimos Monastery, is a former monastery of the Order of Saint Jerome near the Tagus river in the parish of Belém, in the Lisbon Municipality, Portugal. Belém Tower (Portuguese: Torre de Belém) or the Tower of St Vincent is a fortified tower located in the civil parish of Santa Maria de Belém in the municipality of Lisbon, Portugal.
The Prehistoric Rock-Art Site of the Côa Valley is an open-air Palaeolithic archaeological site located in a region of Northeastern Portugal, along the Portuguese-Spanish border.
The University of Coimbra is a Portuguese state funded college in Coimbra, Portugal. Set up in 1290 in Lisbon, it experienced various migrations until the point that it was moved for all time to its current city in 1537, being one of the most established colleges in constant operation on the planet, the most established college of Portugal, and one of the nation’s biggest advanced education and research foundations
Santarém is a city and municipality located in the district of Santarém in Portugal. The population in 2011 was 61,752, in an area of 552.54 km². The population of the city proper was 29,929 in 2012.
The Algar do Carvão (Cavern of Coal) is an ancient lava tube or volcanic vent located in the central part of the island of Terceira in the Portuguese archipelago of the Azores. It lies within the civil parish of Porto Judeu in the municipality of Angra do Heroísmo.
The Furna do Enxofre, situated in the south-eastern part of the Caldeira da Ilha Graciosa, is an impressive lava cave, whose main feature is its perfect.
Perched on a granite crag of the Serra de São Mamede, Marvão’s name is derived from an 8th-century Muladi duke, named Ibn Marwan. Ibn Marwan, who constructed the Castle of Marvão – likely on the site of an earlier Roman watchtower – as a power base when establishing an independent statelet (“emirate”, duchy) – covering much of modern-day Portugal – during the Emirate of Cordoba (884-931 CE). The castle and walled village were further fortified through the centuries, notably under Sancho II of Portugal (13th century) and Denis of Portugal.
The Savage Islands or Selvagens Islands (Portuguese: Ilhas Selvagens IPA: are a small Portuguese archipelago in the North Atlantic, 280 kilometres (175 miles) south of Madeira, and 165 kilometres (105 miles) north of the Canary Islands.The islands are also known in English as the Salvage Islands or Dry Salvages.
Southwest Alentejo and Vicentine Coast Natural Park is a natural park in the Alentejo and Algarve regions of south-central Portugal. It is one of the 30 Natural Park areas which are officially under Portuguese protection in the country.
The Pombaline Lower Town (Portuguese: Baixa Pombalina, area covers about 235,620 square metres of central Lisbon, Portugal. It consists of the grid of streets north of the Praça do Comércio, roughly between the Cais do Sodré and the Alfama district beneath the Lisbon Castle, and extends northwards towards the Rossio and Figueira squares and the Avenida da Liberdade (Lisbon), a tree-lined boulevard noted for its tailoring shops and cafés.
The Palace of Mafra (Portuguese: Palácio de Mafra) is a monumental Baroque and Italianized Neoclassical palace-monastery located in Mafra, Portugal, some 28 kilometres from Lisbon. Construction began in 1717 and was completely concluded in 1755. The palace was classified as a National Monument in 1910, and was also one of the finalists of the Seven Wonders of Portugal.
Buçaco Forest (Portuguese: Mata Nacional do Buçaco) is an antiquated, walled arboretum in the Centro district of Portugal and home to one of the finest dendrological accumulations in Europe. The backwoods measures 1450 meters by 950 meters and covers a zone of 105 hectares; the border divider is around 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) in outline and punctuated by a progression of entryways, one of which bears the content of seventeenth century ecclesiastical bulls denying ladies to enter and debilitating to banish anybody hurting the trees.
The Nature Park of Arrábida (Portuguese: Parque Natural da Arrábida) is a protected area, founded in 1976 and covering an area of 108 square kilometres (42 sq mi), situated between the town of Sesimbra and the city of Setúbal, the hill of Palmela and the sea, including areas in the municipalities of Setúbal, Palmela, and Sesimbra in the Portuguese Península de Setúbal region, district of Setúbal.
The Ourém / Torres Novas Dinosaur Footprints Natural Monument is located in the village of Bairro, 10 km from Fátima, at the eastern end of the Aire mountain range, one of the geomorphological units that make up the Serras de Aire e Candeeiros Natural Park
We offer private tours to any places in Portugal on your request. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us and let us know your plan.